2.08.2010

Naming Rules

I guess the word "rules" is a little strong. I don't have any real rules, just strong opinions on what our child's name should be.

  1. The name should flow together, first, middle & last name. It should roll off your tongue and not get caught up from one syllable to the next. It has to sound good when you yell the whole thing.
  2. The name should sound good together with Colin's. Most of the time, you will be hollering your kids names together so they should flow together too.
  3. The name can't start with A, B, C, J or S. I have 2 nephew's with an A name so I'll avoid another. I can't even think about giving my child the initials BS so we'll avoid B, I don't want another C name so that one is out and I don't want another name with mine or Jay's initial.
  4. The name can't end with the "CH" or a soft "S" sound like Lance or Chase; you get tongue tied when putting it together with Schulze.
  5. The name can't be too formal or too uncommon. I don't care for the creative spellings of names and don't really want the kid to go through life always spelling his/her name, that's going to come with our last name!
Luckily we have a girl name already and it does meet all the requirements.....Rebecca Suzanne. My mom's name is Rebecca and Jay's mom's name is Suzanne so it made sense to stick them together and honor our mama's. Ever since I was little, I loved the name Becca from the show Life Goes On. I know this goes against rule #3 but for the record her name wouldn't be Becca, it would be Rebecca so the initial thing goes out the window.

For a boy name, this is a tough one since my rules apply to a lot of cute names. Jay doesn't get serious about names until a few weeks before the baby is born so it's up to me to pick a name.

Names I like:
  • Nicholas Ryan (my middle name is Nicole and my brother's middle name is Ryan) But doesn't Nick Schulze just sound like a really cool kid and the name of a starting baseball pitcher?
  • Daniel ______ (can't decide on a middle name. I had picked Paul but Jay doesn't want the initials DPS and I sort of agree with him on that one.)
  • Hayden James ** my number one pick right now (I like this one because my dad's middle name is Hayward so it's similar and James is my late grandfather's name)
  • Landon Jay
  • Evan James

4 peeps thought this was cool:

Unknown said...

I like Evan and Hayden James, but I think it's truly a moot point because the wee one is most definitely a girlie!

Heather said...

I agree with Lisa! You can throw my opinion out the window, but I like Nicholas Ryan & Evan James the best. :)

Ruth said...

Love the rules! I really like Nicholas Ryan--you are right, Nick Schulze sounds great!

Tania said...

Benjamin Jay Schulze (oh crap, it's a B name!)

Logan James

What abut Sam? ; )

Happy naming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails