4.18.2010

The Potty Chronicles

Why yes, this is a whole post just about potty training. I've been dreading the whole potty training thing for years but with the impending arrival of the little popsicle, it's been weighing even more on my mind with the thought of having 2 kids in diapers. I've been working with Colin's teacher on tips that they use at school and the easiest approach to potty training. After all, these teacher pretty much raise more kids than I have so they'd have the expert ways.

I knew that I couldn't force it because if he totally freaked out, it would just take that much longer before he'd actually get it. So we waited and just kept talking it up, the prizes, the cool under ware, the sticker charts and of course being a big boy and not a baby in diapers anymore. He's been talking about his friend at school, Jake, who wears spiderman under ware. I kept telling him that he needed to go pee-pee in the potty and he could wear spiderman under ware and his response was always that he tried. He did try, every day his teacher would make sure that he at least sat on the potty and tried when all the other kids went potty. I had just talked to her on Friday about his progress although I know from his daily chart that he had yet to actually pee on the potty. She said he was doing well and felt that once he actually got that physical realization of what he's supposed to do, it would go quickly and he'd potty train in no time.
So, Friday afternoon I asked him if he wanted to go home and put under ware on and try to pee in the potty and he agreed. I always jump at the chance if he's willing to try. I had him sit on the potty every 15-20 minutes and he hadn't gone but then something clicked and he shouted, PEE-PEE! We hauled butt to the bathroom, stuck him up on the potty and he peed! I couldn't believe it, he was so excited with himself as I'm sure he was also reacting from me jumping up and down and clapping for him. He was so proud and the first thing he wanted to do was tell his friends.

He got to put a sticker on his chart and then get a few smarties. I've had these suckers for months and finally got to use them. He gets a few of them every time he goes on the potty and let's face it, he's my kid and loves candy.

Saturday was a bit more challenging starting off, he had 3 accidents before finally a success but I wasn't worried since he was just learning and needed to understand the holding part of potty training. A little road bump in the weekend of training was a birthday party and I just felt he hadn't done that well to chance going without a diaper so even though I really ticked him off by putting a diaper on, I made it a little better by putting the under ware on over the diaper. When we got home, it was back to under ware only. He did very well the rest of the day and even pooped in the potty with only 2 accidents in between.

Sunday has been super! He went in the potty this morning but again a little road bump of going to church and not totally sure the nursery attendant would help him to to the potty if he needed to, I put him in a pull up. I've wanted to avoid the whole pull up stage because it seems that most kids just use it as a crutch instead of actually learning to go on the potty. But he did pee in it just like a diaper so I know I'm making the best choice by not wanting to use pull ups. We got home and put the under ware back on him. An exciting moment was when I was upstairs and Jay was watching Colin downstairs and he left briefly to take the trash out and when he came back inside, Colin was very excited because he had peed on the potty all by himself. I am so proud of him, he's really understanding the whole concept. He stayed dry all through his nap and then went on the potty afterwards. I figured it was the best time to go to the grocery store and try out our luck and see if we could get through the trip without an accident. He did great and even went on a bonus trip to Home Depot and stayed dry the whole time.

I'm actually so excited to tell his teacher tomorrow, she'll be so proud of him. I pray that he continues to do well at school and maybe only had a few accidents, his backpack is full of clean under ware and a few changes of clothes just in case.



And yes, this is a picture of the first time Colin peed in the potty.....it's nostalgic right? I'm glad I did because Colin was very upset with me for pouring his hard work out into the big potty.

1 peeps thought this was cool:

Unknown said...

YEAH BIG C!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails