I was literally shocked last Thursday when I failed my 1 hour glucose test. I was nowhere near the limit with Colin (limit was 140 and my levels were 110) so I was now terrified of the 3 hour test. I've seen women in the doctor's office and most of them looked like they were on their death bed, hunched over, shivering, so tired they were laying on the couch in the corner of the waiting room. These images scared the crap out of me and I was nervous all night long last night. Just the thought of not getting to eat anything and then ingesting that much sugar into my system made my head spin. But I kept eying the prize, I needed to be sure there was nothing I was already doing that was harming Ella and to make sure she was the safest she could be for the next couple of months. I kept telling myself, suck it up, you can do it! I thought maybe a nice steak would be a good going away meal and I keep telling everyone that Jay makes the bestest steaks in the world.
But in the back of my mind was another selfish thought, I've got 2 baby showers coming up, if I fail, I can't have some yummy cake. I know, totally selfish but those that know me, know I love cake!
I didn't sleep very well because I didn't take my benedryl but I was fearful that I would sleep past my alarm and not get up in time since I needed to leave at 6:30 am. I made Colin's lunch the night before, got his nap mat washed and ready for Jay to take him to school.

I made it to the office in plenty of time, much of Austin was probably still asleep when I was on the road and that left the freeways flowing nicely. My first blood draw was just a fasting level to see what they were starting at. It needed to be below 95 and it was a 75 so I started drinking the delicious orange glucose tolerance beverage. It's normally not that bad but the time limit sort of ruins it and makes you a bit nauseous. I sucked it down in 15 minutes and then headed to the waiting room to set up shop for a while. I took the laptop and found a nice cozy corner to surf the net, thank goodness for WiFi. The first hour was up and thankfully the full effect of the sugar was starting to come down because I was miserable, just head spinning and feeling very high. That level came back as barely passing, it needed to be under 180 and came back at 179. Thank goodness, I could only fail 1 part and hoped that I'd pass the other ones. Back to my little spot, more surfing the internet, making a few phone calls and following up on emails. I learned that Facebook is good for something during this ordeal. The next hour was up and the nurse came to retrieve me. This one wasn't so good. I needed to be below 155 and it was 157, ugh! FAIL! Ok, I needed to pass the last one. Can a person really will your blood sugar lower? Maybe?? Back to my spot, overall I was feeling fine, head was back to a normal level but my stomach was growling and Ella would probably asleep for the rest of the day from the sugar crash. Finally the last hour had passed and I was beckoned back to the lab for a final draw. I kept preparing myself for failure and started thinking about all the things I'd have to give up for the last 2 1/2 months of my pregnancy. I patiently sat there waiting for the result and it needed to be below 140 and surprisingly came back at 99. WOO HOO, I passed! Hello cake!! I'm so glad that everything went well and maybe I did will away the sugars?!?!
As I practically skipped out of the doctor's office, I wondered about those women that I had previously seen at the office hurdled up in the corner, this wasn't that bad. I wouldn't choose to do it again but at least the time passed by pretty quickly. I then was on a mission, to find the nearest Whataburger for a burger and fries.
1 peeps thought this was cool:
Close one! Love the new look!
Post a Comment