11.05.2009

Color Book & Crayon Caddy Tutorial

I was inspired by my crafty friend Lisa to post my very first tutorial. I've had this pattern idea in my head for quite some time and struggled with the feasibility of getting it to work out. Finally I think I was ready to put my plan to play and while the first prototype had a few bugs in it, I was able to document and create another one and worked out perfectly! I'm going to participate in a craft show with my mom and grandma next weekend so I've been busy trying to come up with ideas for stuff that might sell. Ok, I know you're ready for the tutorial and pictures.


Front & Back: Cut 2 pieces of fabric measuring 22 x 13
Crayon Holder: Cut 1 piece of fabric measuring 22 x 11
Book Holder: Cut 1 piece of fabric measuring 12 x 13
Handles: Cut 2 pieces of fabric measuring 2 x 12
Cut 1 piece of quilt batting measuring 23 x 14
Cut 2 pieces of ribbon measuring 10 inches
Cut velcro 1 inch strip

Take the piece for the crayon holder and fold back 6 inches and sew sides together.
Turn right side out and press sides down to later sew in place.
Fold bottom portion in thirds and press in place. This will create the crayon holder.
Sew velcro to top tab and bottom.
Sew in place to the front piece. Sew the sides and in the middle of the fold. Make sure the velcro meets each other.
Sew through the middle of the fold and back down the other side to attach completely.
Sew individual pockets for crayons. Sew in 1 inch sections. Skip over the velcro tab. You should have 8 1 inch slots for crayons and a larger slot over the velcro.Handles: Fold over in half and sew down the side. Turn right side out and press down.

Place front piece over the batting. Place handle against the edge and pin in place. Place ribbon in the middle and pin in place. Take the piece of material for the book and fold in half, place at the other end of the front piece and pin in place and repeat steps for handle and ribbon. Place the bottom piece on top, right side down and pin all around.

Leave small portion open to turn right side out. After turning right side out, stitch down center of the booklet.
Tada! Stock with crayons and favorite color books for a nice quite church expierence or color filled family time at your local restaurant.

1 peeps thought this was cool:

Unknown said...

LOVE it Shannon! You are SUPER creative!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails