4.04.2009

Backyard Demolition -Part I

This is the start of a multi-series in an ode to our backyard jungle. The previous owners were plant lovers and had an insane obsession with lava rock. We've lived in our house for two years and because we moved while I was pregnant, the backyard got ignored as we waited for our child to arrive and then settled in with an infant. Now that Colin can entertain himself in the backyard with a bit of supervision, it's time to tackle our backyard. While I will say that I'm totally embarrassed of my backyard, I knew I had to document the pictures for progress. The backyard is so overwhelming but it needs to be dealt with once and for all. I see a backyard with minimal plants for a low maintenance result. We do have a beautiful patio and I'd love to spend more time back there but with the jungle ever growing, I hate being back there right now.

So, the process started a few weeks ago. The patio was surrounded with planter boxes, while nice if they are kept up, I don't have time to do it. The bushes that were embedded in the planters were now over grown and did not provide a view of the yard. The city hosts a semi-annual clean up day and Jay took advantage of it and took all the landscape timbers down and hauled them off. Now we're left with mounds of dirt to dispense. The backyard also has miles of paving stones that lead all over the yard. What's wrong with walking on the grass?? So those have to go. Let me say that my back has taken a toll with pulling all these things up. We're taking the dirt that once was in the planter boxes and filling in where the paving stones were. Again, it's all a process. OK, now for the embarrassing pictures. Trust me, it will be beautiful soon. I have a goal that it has to be complete by June so that gives it plenty of time to grow in by Colin's birthday since we're having a party at the house in the backyard.

0 peeps thought this was cool:

Related Posts with Thumbnails