9.07.2009

What's in a name?


Colin David

When we found out that we were pregnant, I tossed around the idea of not finding out the sex of the baby until delivery day. But that meant that we'd have to pick out a girl and boy name. We've had a girl name picked out for years but the boy name was a bit more tricky. I wanted some sort of family name yet all the men in our family had bit of old fashion names that really weren't back in style. So that left us with the book of 500,000 baby names. So the search started with A......... ha ha. For about 7 months, I'd throw names out to Jay to see if he liked them and he'd always come back with some off the wall name like Oak or Mesquite. All of course with a Texas theme. How much stress could this cause a hormonal pregnant woman? He knew it pushed my buttons but found enjoyment in it anyway. Finally we started to settle down on some names. I wanted the first name to start with C or L after our fathers. Lee was a name I was tossing around because it was my grandfather's middle name. I liked Chase and Chance but because of the "s" sound at the end, it didn't flow well with our last name. So when I tossed out the name Colin, Jay didn't immediately say no like he did with all the other names I liked. Hmmmm, this might be it. So the name was originally Colin Lee but Jay wanted to use David after his grandfather and I really liked the way it flowed together and most importantly it sounded really well when you hollar it across the house. Now we just had to wait to see if we'd have a Rebecca Suzanne or Colin David.

3 peeps thought this was cool:

Ruth said...

I love the ref. to how the name will sound when you holler it across the house (or playground, or grocery store, or birthday party!).

Shannon said...

Oh yes, I have many rules on names and the full name is one of the top ones. It has to sound good and forceful when yelling. Colin already knows I mean business when I say "COLIN DAVID"

Unknown said...

HA! We started with the As too! FUNNY!

Related Posts with Thumbnails