12.19.2008

Bye Annie

Our family dog, Annie will be going to a new home today. Jay and I drove 2 hours to get her when we were dating, a little ball of fur that we named Annie. We've had her a little over 8 years. She's such a good dog and loves everyone she meets. But then came the baby. She was great with Colin, never really cared that he was around or didn't mind the crying. We have wood floors on the whole downstairs area and I was constantly sweeping up dog and cat hair. I decided that once Colin got to the crawling stage, I was done sweeping up hair and booted both animals outside. I hated to do it but the momma instinct kicked in and needed to keep Colin free of possible hairballs that his little hands would pick up while scooting around the floor. They have both been fine outside, the cat actually prefers to be outside but I began to see how Annie was starting to age just from the lack of exercise. We were new parents and didn't have the time to dedicate to our beloved family pet. This summer I started to "think" about giving her up to a new home or possibly a shelter and it's taken a toll on me emotionally but in my heart I knew that she deserved better and to be with a family that would love her as much as we do and had the time to play with her like she was used to. In November, Jay took her to the vet for her annual shots and posted a flier at the vets office that she was free to a good home. I got a phone call the next week from a couple that already have one Welsh Corgi and were looking for another one. After some round and round visits, they have decided to take her and will come pick her up this morning. I'm sort of glad that I won't be there because I would probably be in tears as I watch them take her away. So long Annie......We'll always love you and miss you!

3 peeps thought this was cool:

Unknown said...

Awww...it's tough, but sometimes it's just for the best!

T- said...

That's hard, but you are doing the right thing.

((hugs))

Ruth said...

Well, I really admire you for doing that. I know it is hard both ways--having her and giving her to another home.

Related Posts with Thumbnails