The last few days, Colin has not been eating like he normally does. While he is a picky eater, I know what he likes and know what works to get him to eat. This weekend, nothing worked. I tried his ultimate favorite, fish sticks; that failed, then I tried spaghetti-o's; that failed. We tried his favorite fruits, bananas, blueberries and grapes; failed, failed and failed. He would eat a few bites and then push it away shaking his head. After a little while, he'd make his way towards the pantry for some snacks. At first, I entertained him since I knew he had to eat something but then started to think his pickiness was getting the best of him so I refused to give him snacks until he ate. Sunday night, he didn't eat dinner. I knew he would be hungry but wouldn't starve himself. Monday morning he ate his breakfast and I let his teacher know what was going on and to keep an eye on what he ate. He did pretty good with lunch but dinner was another story, again, no chicken and only a handful of french fries. I racked my brain, quizzed my friends and sought advice from my mom. I was about to throw up my hands with the whole issue and start a head on battle with my new picky toddler. Something inside wanted to get him checked out just to be sure but the more and more I read just kept telling me that it's a picky stage. After some more advice from friends, I made up my mind to just get some clarity and get him checked out by the doctor. His pediatrician was out of town so I made an appt at the after hour clinic, I love this place, I can't say enough about the Austin Regional Clinic system, it's the best! They have regular office hours and then after hours from 5 pm to 9 pm and all for the regular office visit cost. A few times we have seen his pediatrician who was working that shift so that was a bonus. So I go pick up Jay at home and swing by Colin's school to pick him up and then we're off to the doctor. The doctor we saw was super nice, I just loved her and hope to see her again if we have any sort of after hour care need (yea right, whom I kidding, I've got a rough little boy). She asked all the normal questions and then checked him over. She listened to his breathing a bit longer than the normal exam goes, that raised the flag for both Jay and I. She told us that she heard some popping sounds in his right lung and wanted to get a chest x-ray. It was just in the other side of the building so Colin was off and running down the hallway, laughing as Jay chases him. I know what you're saying, are you sure this kid is sick? We get called back to radiology and this familiar piece of contraption is in our sights. Luckily Colin was just 6 months old when he had his first chest x-ray so he doesn't remember but I do and boy was he going to be pissed. The guy was super quick and tried his hardest to calm Colin down but he was so confused as to why he was in this thing and why his Mommy was standing there not helping him. After a few more minutes, the films were in and the doctor came back in to show us the x-rays. He has some cloudy film on his right lung and a little bit on the left side. The diagnosis.....Pneumonia. Oh my goodness, are you sure? Yup, a very strange version of Pneumonia. He's perfectly fine but could take a turn for the worse in a few days. Luckily we caught it early and he should be fine and not really feel any other symptoms. He's on an antibiotic and some stuff for the mucus that we need to break up. After our instructions, we were on our way, happy baby and worried parents, he waved and said bye to the doctor. I swear this kid continues to surprise me, colds can bring him down to the crankiest moods but flu, ear infections and pneumonia can't stop him. He had the flu but only knew it because of the fever, had an ear infection but only because he had a bad cough and now this only because he wouldn't eat. I can't wait until he can tell me what's wrong but remind me of that when he's back talking me ok?
3.17.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 peeps thought this was cool:
Oh no! I hope he feels better soon!
Good for you for following your Mommy instincts!
Good gravy!! I hope that he feels better soon now! Gavin was the same way. He would get ear infections and never run a fever or anything! But now, he can tell us exactly what's wrong every time he is sick. AND he's right 100% of the time. ((hugs))
Way to listen to your mom's intuition! I hope he heals quickly!
Post a Comment