6.14.2009

Why we need a vacation from vacation

We took our first official family vacation this weekend. We've gone on trips to families houses out of town but this was our first family vacation. We went down to San Antonio and even though it's a little over an hour away from home, it still counts as a vacation. If you stay in a hotel, it's a vacation right? We started our journey at the San Antonio zoo, luckily it was only mildly hot and the heat index only reached 103 by the time we left. In a nut shell we paid $18 to see a lot of water and a few animals. Colin is ALL about the water right now, it's such a funny stage. We're standing in front of a gigantic bear but Colin notices that the bear has a pool of water. We see some gigantic rhinos up close and personal but Colin notices that they're getting hosed off with some water. Some cute and playful monkey, nope, he sees their bowl of water. Here are some pictures from the zoo.

We attempted to go to the hotel so Colin could take a nap but that was a no go, he was too uncomfortable and it was just a fight I wasn't going to win. So we went swimming instead and Colin had a blast since I showed him how to jump in the pool. He'd stand on the edge and hold my hands while I counted and then he jumped. After a brief clean up, we headed down to Market Square for a little shopping and people watching, this is when Colin picked to take a nap. I knew he was tired but I didn't have the right stroller with me for him to sleep in but we made due. On our way to the riverwalk he woke up and this was the highlight of his vacation...WA WA! Water water everywhere. This was also part of the vacation that scared me the most so he stayed strapped in the stroller the whole time. I know that the river is only at most 5 ft deep, it still scared me for him to get too close to the edge and fall in. Here are pictures from the riverwalk.
After dinner we went back to the hotel and it took another hour before Colin finally fell asleep and I now know that he just doesn't do well in the pack in play, he was up at 1 am, 4 am and then finally 5:30 am. We all needed a good nap today! Since we were up extra early we walked down to the Alamo to get a quick must have souvenir picture.

We stopped and had breakfast and then checked out of the hotel and hit the road for home, but not before another stop to the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch. It's a drive through animal safari where you can feed the animals from your car. It wasn't worth the price but it topped off our vacation. I sort of expected more exotic animals but it seemed to just have a bunch of different deer. I did learn one thing and that is I have a great fear of the Emu. These things are just freaky! They were all up in our car searching for food and scoping out anything they could. Again, totally missing the point of the trip, Colin had more fun just throwing food out the window than seeing all these animals up close and personal. Oh well, the best part was that he had fun.

3 peeps thought this was cool:

Unknown said...

YEAH for an awesome vacation! I am tickled at C loving all the water! That video snippet of him is just too cute!

Ruth said...

That video IS cute! love his sweet voice!
I agree, if you stay in a hotel, it is a vacation!

I thought y'all went to Sea World, was going to ask how he did. We are thinking of taking C there in Sept.

Shannon said...

Thanks! We had a great time.

I think for the price, we're going to wait on Sea World. I think he'd get more out of it when he's a bit older.

Related Posts with Thumbnails