I totally forgot about it last week so I'll have to make up for it today.
Insurance is jacked up! I have been getting bills for Colin's vaccinations from last year that had not been paid for by the insurance company. I called once earlier this year and they were going to resubmit them. Well after another round of statements that came out, I finally called the insurance company again. The very nice lady that I spoke with explained that the way the policy was written states that we get $500 of routine visits a year and the 2 rounds of vaccinations ate up that money but didn't think that vaccinations should be included in the "routine visits" so she was going to resubmit them again. I got a letter in the mail last week that explained that they did not feel that any further payment was necessary. UGH!! I'm glad I got the letter when I did because I was taking Colin to the doctor the next day for his 1 year vaccinations. I didn't want to get another $400 bill from the doctor because the insurance company didn't want to pay for the routine visit. This policy just makes it hard for parents to do the right thing and vaccinate their children. I don't want to be forced to decide on whether to pay an outrageous bill and potentially save my child from a harmful disease. Jay is starting a new job in a few weeks and we are going to be adding Jay and Colin to my insurance so problem solved and he'll get the vaccinations when we switch insurance companies but the problem is the what if. I was majorly miffed with them and am just disappointed with what we have to deal with in order to receive healthcare.
8.15.2008
Free Rant Friday
Rambled by Shannon 7:12 PM
Labels: Free Rant Friday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 peeps thought this was cool:
Insurance stinks!
We once had a policy that didn't cover vaccinations at all!! But on the front of our insurance guide, it said, "Keep your child healthy; stay up-to-date on all of your child's immunizations."
BAH!
I HATE insurance companies! It is so sad...at work, I see kids that have a mouth full of decay because their insurance is so crappy. Grrrr!
I HATE insurance companies! It is so sad...at work, I see kids that have a mouth full of decay because their insurance is so crappy. Grrrr!
If your health insurance isn't going to pay for immunizations and well check visits, ask your pedi for a schedule of immunizations. Review the schedule that your pedi sets for your baby, then call your local public health department and inquire about the cost for the immunizations----they might even supply you with a fee list.
Then, tell your physician that because of the high cost of immunizations and your inadequate health plan, you will be taking your baby to the public health office for immunizations. That will get your doctor's attention----there is a fairly big mark-up in the doctor's office on immunizations....they tack on fees to set up the shots, administer the shots, and paperwork.
Also, by public health, I don't mean charity care at a low-income clinic. Local health departments don't have to make a profit----and they probably get better deals when purchasing immunizations from the pharmaceutical company. Public health is subsidized by your tax money and it's there for everyone. (I had NO idea that scheduled immunizations were SO expensive!)
Post a Comment