10.29.2008

Sewing Maddness

The economy is hitting us all below the belt (yes, Jay's boxing terms are flooding into my vocabulary) and we're all trying to cut corners. I've decided to try to put my sewing skills to good use. Christmas is very important to me, I shop early and always try to find the perfect gift for everyone. In recent years I pile up the massive amounts of catalogs that get mailed out and go through them to get ideas for gifts. This year is no exception, there is a small mound of catalogs beside my bed with dog earred pages. With the doomed economy, I've taken my sewing skills and am making some Christmas gifts. I've searched many web pages with free sewing patterns for some ideas.


Taggie Blanket: This was super easy. I don't think there was a project that was any easier than this one. No pattern = No problem.


Fleece Hat: This is a McCall's pattern that I got at Joann Fabric for $0.99. The pattern says it's a child's small but it fits my head. This was the first version so I'm keeping it for myself and gave it another run by altering the pattern a little smaller to fit Colin.

Baby Bath Robe: This pattern is one I found online. It's a full size bath towel and I sewed it up to be a bath robe. There was enough towel left over for a tiny pocket. No pattern = No problem. I love these type of projects.
Cloth Ball: This was another pattern that I found free online. There is an abundance of scrap material in my craft closet and I am always looking for ways to use that up. I made these halloween balls for the kids in Colin's class. I've seen some patterns that include the taggies on these as well and might look at making a few of those as gifts also.


Crayon Roll: I found this free pattern online also. It was too cute not to make. I gave the pattern to my grandma so she could make them for her craft shows. They are such a cinch to whip up and she did really well with them at her last craft show. I had to make one for myself to take along in Colin's bag. Although right now all he wants to do is eat the crayons. I plan on making another one with bigger pockets to hold matchbox cars. These are so nifty to just throw in a diaper bag for church or a restaurant for easy entertainment.
With my skills and my mom's skills, I've thought more and more about making things to sell at craft shows. I'd love to do it, I really enjoy sewing and I've stated before that it's a skill that I'm so glad that was passed on to me from my mom and grandma.

3 peeps thought this was cool:

Ruth said...

I just threw up all over the computer. Not really.

I have said it before, I 'll say it again...you are an inspiration. A person/mommy to look up to!

Unknown said...

ROFL at Ruth...no doubt! You are THAT mom that makes the rest of us look bad!! LOVE all of them!

Jackie said...

I'm impressed! I can't even get a button back on!

Related Posts with Thumbnails